Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"Tree of Life" Rotten Tomatoes Reviews

Based on the overall response that critics gave on Rotten Tomatoes, it seems like it was a positive experience for those that took time and put in the effort to unpack the film. Generally, there were more good ratings than bad, but the good ratings brought up some things that wouldn't normally be anticipated in a positive review.
For example, one man said, "Terrence Malick's astonishing masterpiece of light, movement, and spirit, casts a dizzying spell and somehow manages to pronounce the ineffable while telling its humble tale" (Hiller). A "dizzying spell" is not exactly what a viewer wants to hear going into a movie for the first time; I'm already getting a little nervous. And yet, a writer for Laramie Video Scope claimed, "I'm not sure all of its diverse elements successfully make a whole story, but I am giving this film extra credit for being so incredibly ambitious, visually stunning and humane. It is a refreshing contrast to films that show the worst of humanity" (Roten). This gives me a little sense of hope that maybe I can find something in this film to appreciate.
So far, it seems like people approve of how the film was made and directed. What I'm hoping is that the film has something prophetic to teach me about human nature through time, and that I'm up for the challenge. It's starting to sound daunting, but I am willing to put my trust in the reviews that say I will come out of this film changed if I am willing to put in the effort to unpack it.

No comments:

Post a Comment