Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tree, Our Town, Job: my "blind" expectations

It seems to me like there will be a component of pain in the Tree of Life. I have a gut feeling that it will not be as a big of a component as other themes, but I think it will still be there. Emily and Job both raise the question of pain, or misery, in asking the same question, "why do good things happen to bad people?" In Emily's case: why do good people realize that life has passed them by only when its too late, and they are forced to feel the pain of regret? Job 's question is a little more general: why do people have to feel pain in their losses in order to regain part of themselves? (in Job's case, he had to be spoken to by God and realize he was a worm before his possessions were restored sevenfold).
I am also expecting this film to address a lot of "human nature" themes, maybe like dealing with loss? or how morality may play into the individual coming from a family with complex issues? Often times, human emotions and reactions can be murky and difficult to interpret, and since I've heard that this film may have "pushed the envelope a little too far", I'm expecting it to be a little "out there" and obscure. I also think God will feature a big role in this movie, since history/time will be reflected on and humans will definitely be incorporated into it. Space and time, I have no doubt, will be the two governing themes of this movie. They are the two obscurest and hard-to-mentally-grasp concepts, yet they penetrate our daily lives and enslave us to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment